PGCPS Athletic Hall of Fame Enshrines Inaugural Class During Special Ceremony
October 19, 2021 On Saturday, October 16th, 2021, Prince George County Public Schools' Athletic Hall of Fame held its first induction ceremony at Prince George High School in its commons area. Following dinner, the following individuals were honored as the first inductees to the Prince George Athletic Hall of Fame:
- Hal Baird: PGHS Class of 1967. Winningest coach in Auburn University history with 634 wins as their baseball coach. Member of the Alabama Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame, The American Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame, Southeastern Conference Hall of Fame, Auburn Hall of Fame, Ferrum Hall of Fame, and the East Carolina Hall of Fame.
- Larry Brooks: PGHS Class of 1968. 1971 AP Little College All-American. Five-time NFL Pro-Bowler. Two-time First Team All-Pro. Super Bowl XXXI Champion. Member of the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- Johnny Oates: PGHS Class of 1964. Baltimore Orioles 1st round pick in 1967. 1996 American League Manager of the Year. Member of the Virginia Tech Sports Hall of Fame and the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- Ron Rusnak: PGHS Class of 1969. Two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference. 1972 All-American. Named ACC Football Legend in 2018. UNC Ring of Honor.
- Dave Trickler: PGHS Class of 1961. Led the PGHS Basketball team to the 1961 State Championship. Went on to coach the Norfolk Academy basketball team to 573 wins. Member of the Hampden-Sydney Athletics Hall of Fame.
- Coach Bill Woodby: PGHS Football Coach from 1966-1975 and 1979-1980. Coached Hall of Fame members Hal Baird, Larry Brooks, and Ron Rusnak.
- The 1961 State Championship Men’s Basketball Team: The first team in Prince George High School history to win a state championship. Jack Adams, Jim Dozier, Mike Dunford, Mike King, Gary Lafleur, Lee Linder, Jim Long, Phil Mays, Johnny Palmer, Billy Rook, John Seamen, Dave Trickler, Bill Urban, Bill Lockwood (manager), Joseph Flake (score keeper), Don Lee (assistant coach), and D. McCool (head coach).
Post a comment